The Lottery by Shirley Jackson - Numbered Edition
Publication: Summer 2020
Please note that items in your shopping cart are not held. To guarantee your order, you much complete checkout.
Originally published in The New Yorker on June 26, 1948, Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery is one of the most controversial short stories the magazine has ever published, and has since been described as one of the most famous short stories in the history of American literature.
Set on a beautiful Summer day in a rural farming community as villagers gather to observe an annual ritual in the town square, The Lottery portrays most townsfolk as demonstrating a mob mentality who abandon all reason. Written immediately after World War II, Shirley Jackson’s story is a cautionary tale, depicting the dangers of following traditions without thinking of the consequences, and the dark side of human nature.
Upon its publication, The New Yorker received more mail over Jackson’s chilling tale than any work of fiction they had ever published. Readers cancelled their subscriptions, citing the story as too “gruesome,” “perverted,” and “outrageous.”
Today, Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery is heralded as a symbolic tour de force, and one of the greatest achievements in the art of short fiction.
The fine press limited edition of The Lottery by Shirley Jackson is presented in two states: Lettered and Numbered.
- 6” x 9” trim size.
- Limited to 250 copies.
- Full marbled paper binding with paper printed spine label.
- Marbled paper is handmade exclusively for this edition.
- Exclusive introduction by Laurence Jackson Hyman, son of Shirley Jackson.
- Four full-color illustrations by award winning artist Miles Hyman, grandson of Shirley Jackson.
- Signed by Laurence Jackson Hyman and Miles Hyman.
- Endsheets are Hahnemühle Ingres.
- Printed letterpress on cotton mouldmade Frankfurt Zerkall paper.
- Housed in a printed slipcase on laid paper featuring two additional illustrations by Miles Hyman which do not appear in the book.
- Bookmark with all orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Artwork © 2020 by Miles Hyman
* 5% processing fee applies on installment plans.
Knocked out the park again. Love how the illustrations are done
Suntup stresses quality and detail over quantity in this offering. It is a sublime plum of the bookbinding arts.
The Lottery numbered edition is another stunner from Suntup. I almost feel like I’m repeating myself every time I receive a Suntup book. The love and care that goes into these productions never fails to amaze me.
Suntup has done it again by delivering books that are pure art. With “The Lottery” we have yet another example of a brilliant production paired with a rare and unique tale. It is a highlight of my day to see “The Lottery” take its place next to my other Suntup jewels.
It was fantastic
Sign up below to receive the latest news and promotions.