The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty - Lettered Edition
Payment Plan Option: Four payments of $812.50*
Publication: Summer 2021
Limit 1 Copy Per Household.
Refer to our Order Limits policy.
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of this iconic masterpiece of horror and paranormal suspense, Suntup Editions is delighted to announce a fine press limited edition of The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. One of the most controversial novels ever written, The Exorcist was first published in June 1971, and would go on to become a cultural phenomenon. The book spent fifty-seven weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, seventeen consecutively at #1. Five decades later, the novel retains its power to possess readers with its raw and visceral prose.
Inspired by a 1949 article in The Washington Post in which a Catholic priest recounts his experience performing the ritual of exorcism on a young child, William Peter Blatty's groundbreaking novel details the demonic possession of eleven-year-old Regan MacNeil. When neither medical professionals nor psychiatrists can come to Regan's aid, her mother enlists the assistance of two priests. Overwhelmed but determined, they endeavor to rescue Regan from an unspeakable fate. To do so, they must face a series of terrifying moments that will test not only their strength, but the very core of their faith.
Two years after its publication, The Exorcist, was adapted for the screen by Blatty. The film, directed by William Friedkin, who has penned an exclusive introduction for this edition of the novel, would become a wildly successful motion picture, garnering ten Academy Award nominations.
On September 27, 2011, The Exorcist was re-released as a 40th Anniversary Edition in hardcover, paperback and audiobook featuring new and revised material. Of this edition, Blatty wrote: "This will have a touch of new material in it as part of an all-around polish of the dialogue and prose. First time around I never had the time (meaning the funds) to do a second draft, and this, finally, is it. With forty years to think about it, a few little changes were inevitable — plus one new character in a totally new, very spooky scene. This is the version I would like to be remembered for." We are very pleased to publish this version; the author’s preferred text in our fine press edition of The Exorcist.
- 6” x 9” trim size.
- 400 Pages.
- Limited to 26 copies.
- Full leather binding with laced-on boards
- Hand bound in pigskin.
- Embossed design adorns the front cover.
- Sculpted headcaps.
- Endbands are rolled marbled paper.
- Endsheets are hand marbled by Claire Guillot in Southern France, and are flexible with a folded hinge at the fore edge.
- Exclusive introduction by Academy Award winning director, William Friedkin.
- Six full color illustrations by Marc Potts.
- Signed by William Friedkin and Marc Potts.
- Printed letterpress on mold-made Zerkall paper.
- Housed in a clamshell enclosure covered with purple and black Japanese book cloth with an inset leather spine label.
- Bookmark with all pre-orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Artwork © 2021 by Marc Potts.
Photography by Yegor Malinovskii
* 5% non-refundable processing fee applies on installment plans.
Sign up below to receive the latest news and promotions.