The Collector by John Fowles - Artist Edition
ESTIMATED PUBLICATION: Fall 2022
Hailed as the first modern psychological thriller, The Collector is the bestselling novel that catapulted John Fowles into the front rank of contemporary novelists.
When Frederick, a lonely clerk who collects butterflies, sets his gaze upon Miranda, a beautiful young art student, he discovers something more beautiful, rare and precious than any butterfly he’s ever seen. Disturbing, engrossing, and utterly unforgettable, The Collector is the story of Frederick’s obsessive love for Miranda, as he kidnaps her and holds her prisoner in the cellar of his rural farmhouse. The novel contains both the perspective of the captor and the captive.
The Collector is the first novel by John Fowles, whose multilayered fiction frequently explores the tensions between free will and the constraints of society, even as it plays with traditional novelistic conventions, and challenges readers to find their own interpretations. Upon its release in 1963, The New York Times raved, “There is not a page in this first novel which does not prove that its author is a master storyteller.”
In 1965, The Collector was adapted into an Academy Award nominated motion picture directed by William Wyler.
- 6” x 9” trim size.
- 320 Pages.
- Limited to 1000 copies.
- Full cloth, smyth-sewn binding.
- Two-hits foil stamping.
- New exclusive introduction by Bradford Morrow.
- Six illustrations by David Álvarez.
- Dust jacket featuring an illustration by Tom Adams which appeared on the cover of the first paperback edition of the novel (the only edition featuring the dust jacket).
- Signed by David Álvarez.
- Printed offset on archival Cougar Vellum.
- Housed in an illustrated paper covered slipcase.
- Bookmark with all pre-orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Illustrations © 2021 by David Álvarez.
Cover artwork © 1964 by Tom Adams.
Sign up below to receive the latest news and promotions.