The Collector by John Fowles - Lettered Edition
Payment Plan Option: Six payments of $825.00*
Estimated Publication: Fall 2022
Limit 1 Copy Per Household.
Refer to our Order Limits policy.
Hailed as the first modern psychological thriller, The Collector is the bestselling novel that catapulted John Fowles into the front rank of contemporary novelists.
When Frederick, a lonely clerk who collects butterflies, sets his gaze upon Miranda, a beautiful young art student, he discovers something more beautiful, rare and precious than any butterfly he’s ever seen. Disturbing, engrossing, and utterly unforgettable, The Collector is the story of Frederick’s obsessive love for Miranda, as he kidnaps her and holds her prisoner in the cellar of his rural farmhouse. The novel contains both the perspective of the captor and the captive.
The Collector is the first novel by John Fowles, whose multilayered fiction frequently explores the tensions between free will and the constraints of society, even as it plays with traditional novelistic conventions, and challenges readers to find their own interpretations. Upon its release in 1963, The New York Times raved, “There is not a page in this first novel which does not prove that its author is a master storyteller.”
In 1965, The Collector was adapted into an Academy Award nominated motion picture directed by William Wyler.
- 6” x 9” trim size.
- 320 Pages.
- Limited to 26 copies.
- Full leather bradel binding with amandine buffalo covering the boards, and blackberry goatskin on the spine.
- Produced through a collaboration between Erin Fletcher in Boston, Massachusetts and Hannah Brown in Somerset, England.
- Front cover features a handmade embroidered butterfly leather onlay.
- New exclusive introduction by Bradford Morrow.
- Six illustrations by David Álvarez.
- Signed by Bradford Morrow and David Álvarez.
- Printed letterpress on Mohawk Superfine.
- Endsheets are hand marbled and custom designed for this edition.
- Housed in a handmade Tulipwood enclosure featuring an acrylic viewing panel in the lid displaying seven butterflies with their scientific names printed letterpress on paper labels. The book sits in a well in the base of the box which is lined with dark grey suede. The box is made by Hannah Brown and was inspired by a previous bookbinding project Hannah worked on that is now in the collection of the Boston Athenæum, USA.
- Bookmark with all pre-orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Illustrations © 2021 by David Álvarez.
Lettered edition photography by Yegor Malinovskii.
* 5% non-refundable processing fee applies on installment plans.
Sign up below to receive the latest news and promotions.