The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - Lettered Edition
Estimated Publication: Winter 2022/2023
Limit 1 Copy Per Household.
Refer to our Order Limits policy.
Gritty, authentic and full of heart, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is the classic tale that revolutionized the young adult novel.
The Outsiders tells the story of two weeks in the life of a teenage boy as he struggles to stay with his brothers, stay true to himself and “stay gold” following the death of his parents. For Ponyboy, life is a series of conflicts. Greaser against Soc. Rich against poor. Violence against reconciliation. As tensions mount in a neighborhood war between the poor greasers and the rich Socs, Ponyboy grapples with the stereotypes placed upon him as he searches for his own identity and place in society.
When S.E. Hinton published The Outsiders in 1967 – a novel she began writing at age 15 and sold at 17 – the idea of a teenager writing fiction for her peers was practically unheard of. Hinton felt that the required reading in school was not an honest reflection of the lives teenagers experienced in her hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Her novel would present adolescent characters who were the opposite of everything a teenager, by adult standards, should be. As a result, it was a hit with young readers across the country.
Since its debut, the book has sold more than 15 million copies, become a steady feature on school reading lists, been adapted into a film by Francis Ford Coppola, and helped shape an entire literary genre marketed to young adults.
As poignant and relevant today as the day it was first published, The Outsiders urges a divisive world to remember that, as Ponyboy says, we all “see the same sunset,” and that while we may be the ones who create great divides between each other, we can also be the ones to bridge them.
- 6” x 9” trim size.
- 216 Pages.
- Limited to 26 copies.
- Full leather Bradel binding.
- Attached boards and floating spine.
- Spine consists of three layers: a thin leather, a leather-covered spine insert and leather straps that attach the spine insert to the book block.
- Cover is die cut revealing the golden holographic foil below.
- Top edge is gilded.
- Note by the author from the 50th Anniversary edition.
- 21 pages of bonus material from the author's archives.
- Six charcoal & graphite illustrations by Jeff Echevarria.
- Signed by S.E. Hinton and Jeff Echevarria.
- Printed offset on premium Mohawk Via Vellum paper.
- Housed in a clamshell enclosure covered in a two-tone European bookcloth.
- Bookmark with all pre-orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Illustrations © 2021 by Jeff Echevarria.
Photography by Yegor Malinovskii.
* 5% non-refundable processing fee applies on installment plans.
Sign up below to receive the latest news and promotions.