Jaws by Peter Benchley - Artist Edition
Jaws by Peter Benchley - Artist Edition
First published in 1974, Jaws by Peter Benchley is a riveting novel of suspense and horror that terrified millions of readers and inspired an iconic film franchise.
When a great white shark preys upon the small seaside resort town of Amity, New York, police chief Martin Brody is one of the few residents taking the threat seriously. Nearly everyone in Amity wants to downplay the shark’s presence to not scare away the tourists. But when the body count starts to rise, Brody realizes he must find a way to kill it, even if means putting his own life on the line.
When Peter Benchley wrote Jaws in the early 1970s, he meticulously researched all available data about shark behavior. Over the ensuing decades, Benchley was actively engaged with scientists and filmmakers on expeditions around the world as they expanded their knowledge of sharks.
During this time, there was an unprecedented upswing in the number of sharks killed to make shark-fin soup, and Benchley worked with governments and nonprofits to sound the alarm for shark conservation. He encouraged each new generation of Jaws fans to enjoy his riveting tale and to channel their excitement into support and protection of these magnificent, prehistoric apex predators.
This edition of Jaws contains bonus content from Peter Benchley’s archives, including the original typed title page, a brainstorming list of possible titles, a letter from Benchley to producer David Brown with honest feedback on the movie adaptation, and excerpts from Benchley’s book Shark Trouble highlighting his firsthand account of writing Jaws, selling it to Universal Studios, and working with Steven Spielberg. Also included is a reproduction and sketches of the iconic painting by Roger Kastel used on the original paperback cover and film poster.
Since its original publication, Jaws has spawned a movie franchise, two video games, a Universal Studios theme park attraction, and two musicals.
The signed limited edition of Jaws by Peter Benchley is presented in four states: Roman Numeral, Lettered, Numbered and Artist editions.Please note that Artist editions are not numbered.
- Oversized 7” x 10” trim.
- 296 Pages.
- Limited to 1000 copies.
- Full cloth, smyth-sewn binding.
- Two-hits foil stamping on the cover.
- Red stained edges.
- Bookcloth grade linen covering the edition is made using plastic collected from the ocean.
- New exclusive introduction by Wendy Benchley.
- Six full color illustrations by John Anthony Di Giovanni.
- Signed by John Anthony Di Giovanni.
- Bonus content from Peter Benchley’s archives includes: the original typed title page, a brainstorming list of possible titles, a letter from Benchley to producer David Brown with honest feedback on the movie adaptation, and excerpts from Benchley’s book Shark Trouble highlighting his firsthand account of writing Jaws, selling it to Universal Studios, and working with Steven Spielberg.
- Dust jacket featuring the iconic painting by Roger Kastel used on the original paperback cover and film poster (the only edition featuring the dust jacket).
- Housed in an embossed paper covered slipcase with acrylic coating.
- Bookmarks with all pre-orders.
Published editions may differ slightly from mockups and prototype designs.
Artwork © 2021 by John Anthony Di Giovanni.
Dust jacket art © 1975 by Roger K. Kastel. All rights reserved.
just superb. love the cover, love the art
and so much fun seeing the packaging details :)
I've collected Jaws memorabilia for over 30 years, including pretty much all formats of the novel, so this was an exciting announcement back in July last year. When expectations are so high they are often met with disappointment - not this time. Seems like Paul and co. decided to take on the challenge and boy did they succeed. One piece of advice I was given when starting up in business over 20 years ago - "give everyone a little bit more" - something I stand by to this day. Suntup do exactly that, and add a little sprinkle on top for good measures. Outstanding production, thank you all very much.
A pleasure to read it. Fine reading after some fine dining.
Beautiful book and the blue pops on my bookshelf. Easily my second favorite AE with the amazing Misery being my first. All the little bonuses made it even better including the blue packing foam, bite mark on page, and even a fin shape on the packing tape! Wonderful production from Paul and his team, and I'm looking forward to the future releases.
I was so very happy to get in early enough to get a copy of Suntup's Jaws (AE) by Peter Benchley. The design of the book, cover and interior illustrations make this a perfect buy.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.